Tuesday, February 06, 2007

So sick!

I was so sick Sunday that I finally followed my doctor's advice and went to the hospital. They gave me an IV and everything. Ew. I HATE NEEDLES! My nurse was this tiny, sweet Asian woman:

"Don't worry. I have angel hands. Angel hands." I covered my face with my left arm while she worked on the right arm. "I'm not even doing anything yet. For the IV, they don't even leave in the needle anymore. They leave in a plastic straw." (PLASTIC STRAW? PLASTIC STRAW is not more comforting than NEEDLE!) "Now it's going to be cold. It's an alcohol swab. Now I'm going to use the needle. Hold very still. Okay, all done." I pulled my left arm away from my eyes, and she saw the tears that had been falling the whole time. "Ooh, I make you cry? I don' like to make people cry!" I ended up comforting her...which may have been a brilliant strategy on her part. Although I then saw some of my blood in the "straw" and I almost lost it.

After they diagnosed me, pumped me full of fluids and gave me a prescription and a note to get me out of work Monday, I booked it over to Tom's for his Super Bowl party. It was fun watching the game with him and his friends, but I was so tired I went to bed halfway through the game.

The next day, he stayed home from work to help take care of me. We cuddled on the couch, watched a movie, napped and took a bath. His tub comforably fits both of us, which is nice. Then he drove me to my place, where we spent last night. Today I had to go back to work.

That was pretty terrible. The kids went nuts when I was gone. They ripped a poster off my wall, scribbled on another, threw books on the floor, graffitied a desk, stole my chalkboard eraser and ripped the classroom phone off the wall. You know, they were naughty for me today (including the most ironic moment EVER when I had to stop a boy from using a book about Martin Luther King as a weapon), but for that poor substitute teacher yesterday? That must have been hellish. I only have to get through five months (from now to the end of June) and there will be two week-long vacations (one in February, one in April). I can make it. I can!

No comments: