Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Iowa

I had thought I might travel around Iowa visting family, friends and cultural attractions. Did I do any of that? NO! Will I do any of that? No. Thursday Mom picked me up from the airport. It was a fabulous 88 degrees out! We went to a local restaurant for supper, the the Maundy Thursday service at church.

Friday I was getting some much needed rest at the apartment, though I did walk the dog three times in the glorious sun. That night I went to my friend Jessy's pretty new apartment in Johnston to see my Des Moines friends.

Saturday was spent and Unkie and Helen's farm, working the sheep with Mom and Dad. Helen made us a wonderful lunch (pork tenderloin sandwiches!). Then Mom and I decided to pick out a movie to watch together. I wanted one we could all enjoy and that would keep Dad awake, so I got Mr. & Mrs. Smith. I liked the movie, and I thought Mom would enjoy the comedy and Dad would enjoy Angelina Jolie. I think I was right.

Sunday, we went to Waverly to see J.B., Erika and Brooke. Brooke is cute as can be, and smart as a whip. She's not even two and she can already sing the alphabet song. I know that everyone is convinced that their baby relative is the cutest and smartest, but mine actually is.

Yesterday I spent the day working on grad school assignments. Grandma Carol and Grandpa Kenny came over for supper. It was so nice to see them, especially since I didn't get to the last time I was in Iowa. Grandma is toying with writing her memoirs, and she should because it is a dramatic and fascinating story. By the time she was 23, she was widowed with three kids. I told her I didn't know how she managed it. She laughed and said, "I didn't have much choice!"

Today I did more grad school stuff, and that's the plan for tomorrow, too. Tomorrow night, though, I've been envited to my cousin Hannah's concert and supper after. Then, Friday morning, Mom will take me to the airport and I'll fly back to New York. It goes so quickly!

No comments: