Saturday, August 09, 2008

Aunt Erin!

Babysitting, yay!

Yesterday I got to go hang out with J.B., Erika and my adorable nieces! I came over early because I wanted to spend a little time with my brother and sister-in-law before they went to the movies and because I’d never watched the girls on my own before. I wanted them to get used to having me around before their parents left.

When Mom, Sandy and I were at the fair, I saw cute magic wands like I had as a kid, and Mom bought one for each girl. We played Peter Pan for a while (this time using our magic wands to cast spells on Captain Hook), and took turns hiding a stuffed animal for the other to find. We built towers with blocks. Then we all had dinner together. After dinner, J.B. and Erika went to see Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Meanwhile, I took out a present I’d bought for the girls: a copy of Enchanted. I thought Brooke (and her parents) would enjoy the movie, and it would be a fun change of pace from Peter Pan. I’d been worried that Courtney wouldn’t have the attention span for the movie.

The girl grabbed my hand during exciting parts. Courtney was actually interested the whole time.

“What’s gonna happen?” she asked over and over.

When the movie was done, Brooke asked, “Can we watch it again?”

“Just the cartoon section,” I replied. Heh.

Then it was time for changing into pajamas, washing up and brushing teeth. Brooke played quietly while I read to Courtney. Courtney wanted me to stay with her, but I promised to come back after I was done reading to Brooke.

While I was reading to Brooke, Courtney wandered into Brooke’s room. I promised I would check on her when I was done with Brooke. She barely made it back into bed before she fell asleep! Her little tush was practically hanging off the mattress! So cute.

Brooke didn’t want to go to sleep. In fact, she wouldn’t do so until I pretended to be asleep on the couch. I chatted with J.B. and Erika when they got home. I think they had a good time. In the middle of the night, I woke up to Brooke curling up with me on the couch. She loves to snuggle.

The next morning we washed up, had a little breakfast and watched a little bit of the Olympics. Brooke begged to watch Enchanted again, and we watched a portion of it. The movie made J.B. laugh a bit. He imitated the ogre’s deep voice, singing “True love’s kiss!” The girls imitated J.B.’s voice singing the line. Adorable!

I just hope Brooke doesn’t drive her parents nuts watching it over and over (though goodness knows I was that way at her age! To this day, I think my brother is sick of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Grease, The Sound of Music and Annie).

No comments: