Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

I've always liked the holiday, with or without a boyfriends. It's the best thing about cold and gross February, as well as an excuse to give your friends cards and candy (and receive the same in return). If nothing else, there is awesome discount candy available the day after.

One of my favorite Valentine's Days was one with a boyfriend. When I was 16, I was dating Doug. I was scheduled to cheerlead in a basketball game at Doug's school, but he wasn't going to be there because he had to work.

Well, I comforted myself that at least I was getting my braces off that day! The dentist removed them and cleaned my teeth. I couldn't stop running my tongue over them because they were so smooth! No more pokey brackets and wires. My smile was so big and bright and straight without braces. (For years after that, people would come up to me and ask if I'd had braces. They would nod with satisfaction and reply, "No one's teeth are that perfect." Hee.)

I was having fun cheering that night, and Doug's sister brought me a bouquet that he sent because he couldn't be there...but then Doug showed up just in time to give me a hug and a kiss before I had to jump on the bus back to Woodward. Aww...high school romance.

This year I made raspberry fudge (perhaps the SMARTEST thing I've EVER done--It's my mom's fudge recipe, but with raspberry extract in place of the regular vanilla) and hand-made Valentines. (Take that candy and card companies! I can have the traditional trappings of Valentine's Day without you.)

I cut out the hearts way back when I had that awful flu. I couldn't concentrate enough to study. I was too nauseated to even sleep, so I started snipping away. More recently, I taped them to some tissue paper. (Note to self: buy glue.) They turned out so cute! I sent one to Mom and Dad. I planned to sent out the others, but I got swamped. Maybe I'll send them out next year. (Hah! I've been telling myself that about my Christmas cards for three years now.)

I hope you all had a great Valentines Day. Remember, it's not just for couples: Valentine's Day is about showing appreciation to anyone who brings love into your life.

No comments: